PLANET Position Statements
Water Stewardship Position
An abundance of clean, unpolluted water is required to meet the needs of the world’s growing population, while also sustaining green, healthy landscapes with their many environmental, economic, and quality-of-life benefits. PLANET’s water stewardship position is to promote effective and responsible landscape water use. We will do so through the following: thorough site analysis, proper landscape design, suitable plant selection, correct horticultural installation, professional grounds management, agronomically sound lawn care, and the selection, use, maintenance, and auditing of landscape irrigation equipment. PLANET and its members, as stewards of this critical resource, believe our position addresses environmental and conservation concerns.
Stewardship Policy Goals
These are a few of the many factors and practices that influence our overall goal of water stewardship:
- Employees and customers will be educated to recognize, promote, and implement water conserving techniques.
- Landscape and irrigation design and installation will be appropriate for the site and its conditions.
- Soil will be dealt with as a resource that influences water consumption and will be prepared with care to best support vigorous plant life.
- Stormwater runoff and reclaimed water will be viewed as a resource and, where feasible, will be treated on-site or reused for landscape irrigation.
- Grounds management and lawn care professionals will provide site-appropriate landscape maintenance, while giving special protection to nearby bodies of water and controlling runoff during all functions of maintenance that include:
- Pest control
- Mowing and pruning
- Management of yard waste and debris
- Cleaning of hard surfaces
- Maintenance and washing of equipment and vehicles
All the above factors have an affect on water quality and the availability of our water resources. Proper care should always be taken to ensure that we are stewards of water on the sites we analyze, design, install, manage, and maintain.